What is full-time study..?

Full-time study for:

i. a programme of study that requires attendance for a minimum of 20 hours per week, or least three papers, or equivalent, per semester if the offered programme of study is at level 7 or above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework

Most overseas students need a visa to study full-time in New Zealand. You are considered to be a domestic student who does not need a student visa if one of the following applies to you.

International Students

Students who are not domestic students are international students and must pay full fees. International students may cover the full cost of the fees themselves, or they may have a scholarship from the education provider or another organisation.

What programmes can you study?

Your programme of study and education provider must be approved by the Ministry of Education to offer places to overseas students.Your education provider must also be asignatory to the Ministry of Education�s Code ofPractice for the Pastoral Care of International Students to be able to offer you a place. You can find out from the education provider whether their programmes of study are approved.

Applying for a student visa

You can apply for a student visa before travelling to New Zealand. A student visa granted off shore will allow you to travel to the New Zealand border. When you arrive, an officer will check that you meet all of the conditions of your visa to be granted entry permission to study in New Zealand.You can also apply for a student visa when you are already in New Zealand. A student visa granted onshore will usually include travel conditions allowing multiple journeys, so you can travel out of New Zealand and back in before the expiry of the visa.

Student visa conditions

A student visa (whether granted onshore or offshore) allows you to study full-time in New Zealand for a limited period of time.A student visa may have conditions you mustmeet � for example, it may include:

Apply for your visa on campus with Students OnlineStudents Online is an arrangement between Immigration New Zealand and selected education providers that makes applying for student visas easier. If you are studying with an education provider that is part of StudentsOnline, you can apply for your student visa atthe international office on campus.

What evidence do you need toprovide with your student visaapplication if you are aninternational student?
Offer of place/confirmation of enrolment You must show that you have been offered a place or hold a confirmation of enrolment at a New Zealand education provider (if you arecontinuing to attend the same provider andstudying the same programme of study as youhave on a previous student visa).The offer of a place must also include a declaration from the provider that an assessment has been carried out (or will be ifnot already done so) to ensure that you meet the competencies required for the programme of study and that the programme of study matches your career intentions.

Tuition fees

If you are in New Zealand or already hold astudent visa, you need to provide evidence that you have either paid the tuition fees or that you are exempt from tuition fees. If you are outside New Zealand applying for your first studentvisa, you must show you have sufficient funds to pay the tuition fees once your student visa is approved in principle.

You can provide evidence that the tuition feeswill be covered by:

Evidence of financial support All applicants for student visas must provide evidence they have sufficient funds available to maintain themselves throughout the period of their stay in New Zealand.

You can show us that you have:


Can you work in New Zealandafter completing your studies?
You may be eligible to work in New Zealand once you have completed your studies. You will need to apply for a work visa. Applying for a Post-study workvisa (open)If you do not yet have a job offer, you may applyfor a Post-study work visa (open). Visas grantedare valid for up to 12 months and allow you to work in a temporary job while you look for a job in your field.To be eligible for a Post-study work visa (open)you must:

have successfully completed a New Zealand qualification that qualifies for points under the Skilled Migrant Category of Immigration New Zealand�s Residence Instructions� have recently finished your qualification, and apply no later than three months after the end date of your student visa for that qualification

  • private training establishments (PTE) isenrolment in:
  • tertiary institutions other than a PTE isenrolment in at least three papers, orequivalent, per semester
  • You hold a special temporary (diplomatic, consular orofficial) visa.
  • primary, intermediate, or secondary school isattending school.
  • the name of the programme you are allowed to study
  • the name of the educational provider
  • the New Zealand location of the provider, and
  • the requirement to hold acceptable insurance.
  • a foreign government loan, or
  • a New Zealand Aid Programme scholarship, or
  • a foreign government scholarship, or
  • other funds.
  • a sponsor (a person, an organisation, or agovernment agency, which has agreed toaccept financial responsibility for you whileyou are in New Zealand), or
  • a guarantee of financial undertaking, or
  • a foreign government loan, or
  • a New Zealand Aid Programme scholarship, or
  • Full foreign-government support and funding,or
  • Enough money to support yourself while in New Zealand.
  • show that you have at least NZ$4,200 to support yourself financially