Most overseas students need a visa to study full-time in New Zealand. You are considered to be a domestic studentwho does not need a student visa if one of the following applies to you.

However, some overseas students have domestic studentstatus and require a student visa to study or train in New Zealand.

You do not need a student visa for one or more programmes of study, up to a total of three months, that the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) has approved or exempted (see the NZQA website In this case you may need to apply for a visitor visa. A student visa is also not required for a single period ofup to three months� study at a primary, intermediate, or secondary school. The study must be completed within that calendar year

  • You are a New Zealand citizen.
  • You hold a New Zealand residence class visa.
  • You hold a special temporary (diplomatic, consular orofficial) visa.
  • University students who enrolled in a PhD programme for the first time after 10 April 2005
  • Some primary and secondary school students